Seat of Wisdom, Cause of our joy, Spiritual vessel, Vessel of honor, Singular vessel of devotion, Mystical Rose, Tower of ivory, House of Gold, Ark of the Covenant, Gate of Heaven, Morning Star, Mystical Rose-- these are all poetical and prayerful expressions venerating in the highest degree Mary. Still, the greatest title given to Mary is MOTHER OF GOD. This was her most sublime and greatest privilege!
On Christmas we celebrate the most important birthday in the history of the world: the Birthday of Jesus, the Son of God and the Son of Mary. Then on January 1st, we start the New Year celebrating the Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God. How does Mary's Motherhood effect you and me in our own personal lives? Hopefully in a very powerful way! Let us reflect on the nature of Motherhood, who a Mother really is and what she does for her children and apply this to Mary, The Mother of God and our Mother and her influence on our life!
1. LIFE. She is our life our sweetness and our hope. Mary gave birth to Jesus, the Life of the world....The WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE. Mary attains for us, through her powerful prayers, spiritual life in abundance in this life. She is the "Full of grace" and ardently desires to attain for us the most signal graces. Being the "Mediatrix of all graces", all the graces pass through her hands to our souls.
2. NOURISHMENT. The nature of a Mother is to nourish her children. Mary draws us close to Jesus who is "The Bread of Life". In Guadalupe, Lourdes, and Fatima, she asked for a church so that the Mass would be celebrated to nourish the people with the "Bread of the Word', but especially "The Bread of Life" in the Eucharist.
3. PROTECTION. Those who invoke Mary in moral and spiritual danger have quick recourse and protection from their heavenly Mother. St Francis de Sales was on the brink of despair and he prayed the Memorare to Mary and the temptation to despair subsided, ceased and Francis went on to become a priest, Bishop, Founder, writer, Doctor of the Church. It was through the help and protection of Mary.
4. HEALING! She has the title "Health of the Sick". Pope John Paul II stated that Marian sanctuaries are "Spiritual clinics" where wounded and sinful souls receive healing, health and refreshment! This healing takes place when a morally wounded soul enters and leaves the confessional. Sin wounds our soul; confession heals it.
5. MOTHER AND TEACHER. Her last words recorded can be found in the Wedding Feast of Cana, when she says: "Do whatever He tells you!" These are the last recorded words of Mary in the Bible and what superb advice! If the world would simply heed these short but wise words of Mary, who is also known as "Seat of Wisdom", then the whole world would be saved!
6. COMFORTS. A good mother will comfort and console her desolate and dejected child. St. Juan Diego experienced profound desolation at the prospect of his elderly uncle dying. Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to him an reassured him that his uncle would be healed. And healed indeed he was! In moments of sorrow, doubt, sadness we should run to Mary. One of her titles is "Comforter of the Afflicted".
7. LOVES HER CHILD. If there is ever an important attribute of a true mother in relation to her child it is that of love. Mothers can always find reason to love their children even when their children have acted in a very unloving way. Remember always! Despite your falls and the depths of the fall, Mary as Mother still loves you, cares for you and is praying for you. Her love for us never changes.
In conclusion, let us renew our love, trust, and confidence in Mary our Heavenly Mother. St. Therese of Lisieux affirmed that Mary is Queen, but she is Mother even more than Queen!
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.